Thursday, May 17, 2007

Welcome to TRDDC, Pune

Ok, so for those who don't know I've been at Pune for the last few days, doing a summer internship at TRDDC. Thats Tata Research Development and Design Centre, a division of TCS.

I've got lots to write about: Pune Chics (Hrushi and co were'nt kidding when they said Pune chics are hot!), the nice family I stayed with for the first few days, finding accomodation, blah blah blah.. but right now let me just restrict myself to TRDDC.

WARNING: Ranting, Ranting, Ranting.

In brief: I hate it here.

My Project


Ok, I can't divulge much of this - I don't want to break any clause of the four-page confidentiality agreement that I signed before joining here.

But I can assure you that it has nothing to do with Theoretical Computer Science.

Restrictions


Firstly, gmail, orkut etc are blocked. Of course - tech savvy as people here are supposed to be, we use other ways to access these sites. But still restrictions give a bad impression.

The first day I came here, I came in baggy cargos and shirt - typical of me. Second day, t-shirt and jeans. Third day t-shirt and jeans. Through these three days I see everybody wearing formals, and think to myself what a bunch of losers these people are.

Later, I was spotted by some high-profile guy (Brigadier, thats what some of my friends told me he's called) and asked me whether I've seen anybody with jeans and t-shirt in the office, and asked me to maintain office decorum. Formals. Jeans and casuals only on Fridays. Kinda reminds me of the uniformed days of school. A roomie - a guy from IBM - claimed that at his place the minimal restrictions were there are they were not even followed.

So guess what I've worn today: Jeans and the same (unwashed, unironed) shirt that I wore on Day 1.

After all, rules are meant to be broken.

Its also interesting to note the computer usage policy that I have to accept before I use my assigned computer. It asserts TCS's right to monitor everything I'm doing on my comp. And in fact they can do it - we've seen them remotely controlling some of the comps.

So guess where I am writing all this from? ;)

I have signed in for 2.5 months... Hmm... heh heh heh ... *villaneous laugh* more on this a few weeks from now :D

My new room: Good night, sleep tight don't let the bed-bugs bite


So after staying three days at Poumai's place, I moved into my new room for the next 2.5 months.

About 15 minutes and 7 rupees bus ride from TRDDC, and at 2200 p.m. this place sucks. For the next two weeks we (ah, introducing Anurag - an IITM metallurgy guy, so we will be roomies throughout this internship - we are working on different projects though) have been asked to stay in a four bed dormitory, after which we'll be shifted to a perhaps better room for two.

This place has got a bathroom whose taps don't work (the one which works works at a slow pace), a drain thats clogged. Downstairs they've kept corporation water in bottles in an ancient fridge that stinks (and has got a HUGE bag of dogs meat - meat for dogs - stuffed into the freezer non-auto-defrosting), and which people drink.

For the next two weeks, I and Anurag have been given a single cupboard. Well its got two halves to it, one half is sealed. So lets say we've got half a cupboard.

The story behind the other sealed half is interesting and has been passed down the generations of various occupants of the room. Apparently a girl staying in this room commited suicide by jumping down the building a few years back. All her stuff is in this cupboard. Sealed. Ah, I can feel shivers up my spine.

Finally, I slept at 5 in the morning today. Bed bugs. I wouldn't have slept by then too if not for Odomos.

Long live Pune. Long live TRDDC. Short live my stay here!

7 comments:

sally said...

Compaq Presario V6000 Battery
Compaq Presario X6000 Battery
Compaq Tablet PC TC1000 Battery
Compaq Tablet PC TC1100 Battery
Compaq Mini 700 Battery
Compaq Armada 7400 Battery
Compaq Armada m300 Battery
Compaq Armada M700 Battery

hp 510 Battery
hp 530 Battery
hp 550 Battery
hp 2133 battery
hp Mini 1000 Battery
hp Mini 110 Battery
hp Mini 2140 Battery
hp mini 5101 battery
hp Omnibook 6000 Battery
hp Omnibook 6100 Battery
hp Omnibook VT6200 Battery
hp omnibook xe2 battery

nithin reddy said...

Hey i am a final year CSE student from NIT Rourkela. I went for an internship last summer to Carnegie Mellon University. Do you recommend me to join this intern ?

rdivya said...

hey
could you please tell me how u got the internship?...its applicatin procedure n all?

It ll be a grt help to me

rdivya said...

hey
could you please tell me how u got the internship?...its applicatin procedure n all?

It ll be a grt help to me

rdivya said...

hey
could you please tell me how u got the internship?...its applicatin procedure n all?

It ll be a grt help to me

Unknown said...

hey your blog is gr8.
can u hlp me by saying how to join trddc.
its quit ergent aftr a month my mcs sem-3 will b over.

so plz let me know about the procedure of joining.
plz..

thephoenix01 said...

"gmail, orkut etc are blocked. Of course - tech savvy as people here are supposed to be, we use other ways to access these sites."
Could you elaborate a bit on how you accessed these? New here, quite a pain in the ass.