Thursday, May 17, 2007

My new k750i

With myself assuming that I'm gonna get 14k out of working at TRDDC, before coming here, I bought myself a brand new Sony-Ericsson K750i. There were other reasons too - for example, I felt I really needed GPRS and a camera in Pune. My original plan was to take Dad's k510i, however elder bro had already taken it to Delhi by then (Ok, so he's doing a summer internship at DLF).

Anyway, so I'm no longer using my old crappy T290i.

The K750i is a great for its price (probably I used a similar phrase when I talked about my Dad's k510i). At 8.9K its got a lot of functionality. Its a kinda old model - around two years old. But most reviews call it the "old-is-gold". On Techtree, most of the about 10K phones are compared with the k750i (and its Big B k790i) - it was almost as if SE had bribed Techtree to do that! It might not be a phone to boast about in a blog - but hell, I've been using a T290i for the last two years - I've got the right to party!

So basic features? Class 10 GPRS, 2 MP camera with autofocus, nice interface, FM radio, bluetooth.

Probably the major difference between the 510 and 750 is the 2MP camera with autofocus - also the camera lens has got a cover!

For about the same price I could've got other 2MP camera phones with even EDGE. Well, but most reviews talked about the bad camera quality - no other phone in the range has autofocus, so I decided to fallback to the k750i.

While it took some time to get the hang of the joystick, I soon realized how it can make my mobile usage more efficient and fast.

Among the cons that I've noticed is the very bad sound quality - even while talking on the phone. And playing MP3s on the speaker phone is certainly not a good idea :) Well, but thats what the W series is for.

Its awesome to have GPRS and Java. The last few days in Pune, I've been taking 24hrs GPRS for 20 INR. The connection is terribly slow - lot slower than what Rajesh (a friend of mine) used to get at IISc during the KVPY camp. I've not been able to use the GPRS with my laptop - some settings problem - but during the restricted net access times at TRDDC I can ssh access.cmi.ac.in with MindSSH on my phone! (MindSSH is a java based ssh client)

No comments: